Advanced Solutions for Clearer Vision
Cataract Surgery Toronto
Vision may deteriorate with age, disease, or injury. At Yonge Eglinton Laser Eye + Cosmetic Centre, we can help restore failing vision. The latest procedures to correct vision affected by cataracts are offered to Toronto, Ontario, patients by Dr. David Rootman and our entire ophthalmology team .
Yonge Eglinton Laser Eye + Cosmetic Centre provides patients suffering from cataracts and other vision impairments several options for treatment. We are proud to use blue blocker and Multifocal lenses at our Toronto, Ontario, practice. We also offer our patients corneal transplants with deep lamellar endothelial keratoplasty (DLEK). We invite you to learn more about corneal transplant procedures.
Patients with cataracts in Toronto, Ontario, may experience a loss in their quality of life, since the vision problem may hinder their ability to perform routine activities. Similar to a smudged camera lens, cataracts obstruct the clarity of a patient’s vision. This obstruction results from cloudiness that forms on the eye’s natural lens and creates haziness in the patient's vision.
Our ophthalmologists can help restore vision by treating a patient’s cataracts at our Toronto, Ontario, eye centre. Through a small incision, the patient’s clouded lens is removed and replaced with an intraocular lens (IOL). The incision is so small that stitches are usually not required. Usually an outpatient procedure, surgery for cataracts tends to last less than half an hour. Most patients can return to their normal routines within a day of cataract surgery, although they must be careful not to rub their eyes during the healing process. The cataracts patients at our practice are amazed by the clarity of their vision after surgery.
Studies show that cataracts patients are increasingly seeking surgery to correct their vision. Cost for cataracts surgeries in Toronto are covered by the Ontario Health Insurance Program (OHIP). However, there may be changes for uninsured services and premium intraocular lenses.
To take advantage of this coverage, schedule a consultation regarding your cataracts with our Toronto, Ontario, ophthalmologists. We encourage you to learn more about what to expect during cataract surgery at our Toronto practice.
The Multifocal Lenses are offered at our Toronto, Ontario, location as one of the IOL options for cataracts patients. The Multifocal lens is unlike fixed focus monofocal IOLs, which usually correct only for distance vision, the Multifocal lenses offered to our Toronto, Ontario, patients can correct both near and distance vision.
A clinical trial found that 80 percent of patients who had their natural lenses replaced with Multifocal lenses during cataracts surgery no longer needed to wear glasses. Although the remaining 20 percent of the trial patients still needed to use corrective eyewear after undergoing Multifocal lens surgery, many of them had less dependency on their glasses than before the surgery.
Multifocal lens also allows patients the ability to focus on multiple distances, reducing their dependency on eyewear. The lens is divided into five zones. Each section is designed for varying focal distances and lighting.
Although patients may continue to need glasses for some circumstances (focusing on small print, night driving, or extended reading sessions), about 92 percent of Multifocal Lens patients have reported either minimal or no need for glasses.
Patients considering cataracts surgery with Multifocal Lenses in the Toronto, Ontario, area should contact Dr. David Rootman for more information. We invite you to learn more about the various lenses used in cataract surgery.
Aberration Correcting Lenses – Blue Blocker Intraocular Lens
Blue light is found in your daily environment. Sources of blue light range from natural sunlight to the lighting used in homes and offices. It is now believed that some wavelengths of blue light may potentially damage your eye. To combat this, intraocular lenses that filter blue light are being created.
Yonge Eglinton Laser Eye + Cosmetic Centre offers the option of these blue blocker lenses to cataracts patients in Toronto, Ontario. The blue-blocking technology allows the transparent yellow tinted lens to block the harmful blue light wavelengths from damaging the retina. Cataracts patients who choose to use a blue blocker lens receive the benefits of both restored vision and protection from the blue light waves. These lenses also correct for the minor aberrations of the eye, and can provide sharper vision compared with the usual intraocular lens.
The needs of each patient are different. To learn more about which of our lens options would be best suited to your particular case, please contact one of our knowledgeable ophthalmologists today.